Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Humble Kiwi (written January 5, 2011)

A new year, a new renewal intention—not a resolution, I don’t do those; except perhaps ones similar to Jessie’s when she was about 12 years old: “My resolution is to eat more donuts!”—to get back to blogging.

Much has transpired while I haven’t been blogging—Jessie’s inaugural experience of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at our local movie theatre, a bus trip to Cryville, a college tour to Toronto, yet another Christmas pageant, and my father’s diagnosis of terminal cancer—which just goes to show you that life happens even when not chronicled! Halleluiah for that!

However, because so much has happened (in small and nugatory bits that move us forward and along the path) I got overwhelmed by the idea of trying to catch up. So instead, I offer you the humble kiwi (more on college tours, bus trips, and futures planning later).


The kiwi is a small fruit. Green, fuzzy, difficult to peel, yet one of Jessie’s favorites. Not the best choice for a “fruit in the hand” kind of snack, but still, we try to keep a batch on hand to add to a winter fruit salad treat. At school, they are encouraging Jessie and her peers to make healthy food choices and to stretch their usual routines to include fresh fruit and vegetables (not processed foods). I will not question WHY this is so much more acceptable or even inspiring coming from Ms. Ashton or Ms. Ford than from me or Dan. I just bite my tongue when Jessie says, “Ms. Ashton says fresh fruit is healthy and we should be bringing it for lunch or a snack,” and not point to the handy lunch list we have posted in the kitchen that lists all the fresh fruits that she could/should pack for a healthy lunch. “What a good idea!” I say, and make a mental note to give them a list of all the things we have been trying to tell/teach Jessie and see if they can work their way through it.

This particular morning Jessie grabs a kiwi to add to her lunch box. She tells me that someone there will help her cut it and peel it at school. At dinner I ask her how that worked out. “It was good,” she said, “but I didn’t eat all of it.” “Oh?” “Well, I couldn’t find the knife and Tanya was busy and so I just kind of ate it.” “What do you mean?” “I bit into it. It was kind of fuzzy; not too bad.”

Ballistic mom freaks (that, I am afraid to admit, is me). WHAT!! But the skin could be poison! The skin on some vegetables and fruits is poison and you don’t just go eating it if you don’t know! Its fuzzy, it tastes horrible, and it could be poison! Don’t EVER do that again! You HAVE to know what you are eating! You CAN’T just eat skins and stuff without knowing … blah, rant, blah, rant, rant.

Sane mom (that, I will admit, is sometimes me) thinks. Hmmm. I wonder if the skin is poison? I better look it up. So I excuse my ranting self and head to the computer and look up kiwi. It turns out you CAN eat the skin (the picture shows a delightful slice of kiwi, skin, seeds, white stuff and all!). It turns out that the skin actually contains lots of antioxidants. Antioxidants: the meaning of which I had to explain to Jessie when I came back to the table contrite and apologetic. I had to tell her that she, in fact, made a smart move when she decided to eat the skins of the kiwi and that I, in fact, did not know what I was talking about.

I then had what appears to be turning into my usual dessert during these transition years: humble pie.

3 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Some fruits and vegetables need you to eat the skin: for example, nectarines; peaches - and nearly all stone fruit.

What a great kiwi-eating experience!

(And we love key lime pie!)

Avocado, I know that its skin is a vestigal. Will find out lots more.

Tell us about Rocky Horror. And is Grandpop still around? Would also like to ask about Toronto (have had some news about college tours through LETTERS TO MORGAN).

Renewal!

Nan said...

Thanks for the foodie comments. I just went to letters to morgan and fell in love THANKS so much for that link!!!!

Adelaide Dupont said...

Nan and everyone:

Here is the Letters to Morgan link on Blogger.

About the university tour in Toronto:

Yes, the university of Glueph is committing itself to be an accessible and inclusive place. (Letters to Morgan shows us this. Glad to see you following there! My mate Laura - Life of the Differently Abled - pointed it out from her travels).

Ryerson is one I also hear fantastic things about.

I would like to know more about Centennial; George Brown; Seneca and Humber (Humber has dual connections with Glueph). Boreal is pretty awesome too. It would probably be mon choix.

The first one I ever heard of was McGill. (Here the Montgomery fan speaks: especially the one who read Emily of New Moon and wondered about Douglas and Dean and the journalism course there).

And of course Montreal. (FutuReale magazine gave me a big feel for the place: very arty!)

Janna Hoskin also has a few words about various places, especially on the other side of the country: Alberta.

Also have some Vancouver contacts (a film researcher and writer).